Saturday, September 25, 2010

I have been a delinquent blogger . . .

So much to say, so little time.  I had great hopes for my blog.  Clearly everyone would notice and appreciate my wit and charm.  This would allow me to get followers.  The followers would allow me to post adds.  The adds would obviously attract Oprah who would promptly put me on her show.  I therefor could quite my job, and be E & O's full time wrangler.  Only one problem, in order to get this far, I actually need to take the time to write it.  
I could put every Mommy excuse in the book down here: E tried to put O in the dryer (true story), O tried to flush E's pants down the toilet causing the great flood of 2010(also true), our fish, tuna, made a valiant effort in the path of Nemo to get back to the ocean (also, freakishly true), but I am going to be straight up honest - the fall line up has started.  This is something we have been training for, for two straight weeks.  I have E & O convinced Glee is "their show".   We got dressed up in costumes and rock out to every single song.  I encourage all of you out there to share in the sweet sweet joy of network (provided it is appropriate) tv with your child.  
This might be a good time for a little self disclosure.  My children watch television.  They eat high fructose corn syrup.  The eat many foods that come in nugget form or on a stick.  Our fish, tuna (his beloved mate helper tragically died a year ago in november), is a genetically engineered glow in dark goldfish from petco that is apparently outlawed in some countries (I swear we didn't know when we bought it.)  Both of my children have either accidentally or on purpose partaken in the sweet nectar of the Gods that is diet coke.  I feel much better now that I have confessed.  I'm also pretty sure I have some organic strawberries in the fridge - couldn't hurt.  All this aside, I am a good Mom and I try really, really hard to be one. 
The point to the rambling.  Have you ever noticed how much mothers judge each other?  It is unbelievable.  And also (at the risk of sounding like a hipocrite) have you ever observed the mothers around you.  Today I was out with a girlfriend and her kids in our local library parking lot where the city had gathered all kinds of different trucks for the kids to climb in.  The streets were packed with children in their adorable fall outfits.  There was also a sea of northface down jackets, high heeled shoes, starbucks, and the dreaded blackberry.  I label the latter three the attention taker awayers.  I watched more kids fall or wander off because their parents were to busy sipping their no doubt organic soy nonfat decaff no whip latte and updating their twitter feed to notice their kid.  Even if they wanted to, their footwear would have proven  a hazard.  These were the same people who skipped ahead of all the other families in line, or were to busy to notice their child doing the same.  I left feeling pretty awesome about myself.  I got home and was watching E & O play.  They both play interrupt their play to check their fake cell phones.  E absolutely pretends she has a pager on (she has, on occasion, taken it off her hip and said, "you have got to be kidding me - these people".  I have to admit, I felt pretty horrible. What message am I sending to them about what is important.  But then later, I saw E comfort O when she fell / dove off the couch by singing a song my husband sings to both of them, kissing it, getting her a band aid and a popsicle, and getting her mr. bear (the most beloved and disgusting of all bears).  Moments like that make you realize you are a good parent.  We are all (with few exceptions) good parents.  You know who our biggest critic is?  Ourselves.  Instead of focusing on the bad in the world, in other parents, and in yourself - take a minute to watch the true goodness in your children or your nieces and nephews and remember - it came from you.  That being said, they learned to pour bath oil on the floor and turn it into a slip and slide while I am in the shower, from their father. 

3 comments:

  1. Does it count if I use the blackberry to take cute pictures of the girls? That being said, yes I agree it is all about spending time with kids. Especially when they are as wonderful as your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Katie! I love your stories!!! I agree with every word you say!! I sometimes, or all the time i should say that I know other mothers are criticizing what I do as a mother, yes, as well as you, my children watch TV, and yes, we do not eat organic food! lol. I will be checking your blogs a lot!!! I love to read them, If I could write, my stories would sound just like yours :o)

    ReplyDelete