Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Confession

The absolute best part about being a parent are the moments you get to be a kid again.  The even better part comes when your spouse gets to play too.  It is like regressing to a calvin and hobbs for a brief moment in time . . .

This leads me to a small confession I would like to make.  I, on occasion, have persuaded my children to think something is awesome so that I have an excuse to do it .

This weekend I convinced them to be excited about the Wizard of Oz exhibit and the Children's Museum.  E couldn't wait to see the dinosaur - apparently in her version the witch gets eaten by a dinosaur.

A few important points:

A) They have never seen this movie, nor will they for some time.
B) Upon reflection this movie is moderately terrifying (flying monkeys, melting witches, dancing midgets in  capri pants . . . )

I was like a kid in a candy shop - I think I might have actually squealed when I saw THE ruby slippers.  We went to Aunt Em and Uncle Henry's farm.  We rode the witch's bike with toto in the basket.  We were swept away to munchkinland and got to see INSIDE the houses of the munchkins (one of my lifelong dreams).  We skipped down the yellow brick road.  We met the Scarecrow, the Tinman, and the Lion.  We went to see the wizard. We explored the witches castle.  And we clicked our sparkly pink shoes and said "there is no place like home"  (E said this falling asleep on the way home).

I was shocked at the parents sitting on the sidelines - reading a book, playing on their iphones, talking on their cell phones.

My point, I do have one here, is this.  Own the little girl or little boy inside of you.  Let it come alive when you get a chance.  You will be a better parent and a better person for it.  Your kids are only little once - enjoy their childhood with them and re-live yours.  Get off your iphone!  Put down the book!  Facebook, Email, Twitter can wait.   Play with your kids.  Share your memories and build new ones.

2 comments:

  1. Love the little wamboozicles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inside the munchkin houses! This i a blog - you have to tell us about the decor.

    ReplyDelete