Sunday, October 24, 2010

Still alive . . .

Between D being home and adjusting to D not being home, I haven't had the time or to be quite honest the energy to keep up!  I received my usual, "are you alive" calls this week and realized it was time to come out of my self inflicted emotional hibernation.   I tend to disappear into a world of comfort . . . of bagels, diet coke, gilmore girls, and snuggles.  I do this partly because these are my favorite things and your favorite things develop from  your past and who you are.  It seems like this is pushing it, but I'll break it down.

Bagels:  My Dad loves bagels.  Some of my best memories of being a little girl involved bagels with my Dad at the breakfast table.  We still have them when he comes up to visit.  Anytime I see a bagel it makes me think of my Dad and makes me feel safe.  His favorite is cinnamon sugar - so is Emma's . . .

Diet Coke:  Most of my high school and college memories involve diet coke.  Whether it was late nights in a friend's attic talking about first loves over chicken stuff.  Late afternoons with chips with lime discussing the issues that shaped a lot of what I believe.  Or early morning studying and learning how to spend time by myself and be happy.

Gilmore Girls:  Most people don't know this, but this a show I watched with my Mom in highschool.  On tuesday nights in college I always called my Mom after gilmore girls.  It is something that we have shared, even when we were mad at each other.  Even when we weren't seeing eye to eye.

You can read it as over analyzing, but if you look at your comfort routines, I bet you find the same things . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment